Sunday 29 May 2016

New OTG and its first cake - Vanila Sponge Cake, Lemon Butter Cream Icing with Mangoes

 The current microwave oven I own, was giving me uneven baking due to a rotation problem. I have been eyeing an OTG oven for a while now - "the cooking range gas oven effect" you know!!! I ended up buying my very first OTG oven - a long time dream!!

It's a Morphy Richards 24" oven - nothing fancy. I found that one of the blogger Sharmi from Sharmi's Passion had mentioned this in her blog about baking, oven and some tips. After tons of research on the size, blah, blah, I ordered it from Amazon

To start with I baked my simple vanilla sponge cake and used butter cream icing. I was a little scared to be honest, after reading some first OTG baking disasters.. But the cake came out spongy and nice..  I was looking for a simple cake, but adding mangoes to top made it  a super star!! I also made chocolate muffins, recipe to be shared soon!!!!

I didn't manage to click pics in the making - no plans on blogging it, but here is the recipe I used..

Sponge Cake:

Butter - 200 gm (approx)
Sugar - 1 cup
Flour - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Eggs - 3
Vanilla Extract - a dash

Butter/Oil for greasing the tin

Butter Cream Icing

Butter - 200 gm
Icing Sugar - 200 gm
Lemon Juice - Tbsp
Lemon Zest

Topping

Half a Mango cut into Tiny Pieces


Method:

Sponge Cake

  • Whisk eggs and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until ribbons are formed. I used a hand blender for this.
  • In a separate blend cream butter and sugar until a smooth creamy paste is formed
  • Add the butter sugar mixture to eggs and slowly incorporate them
  • Add flour using cut and fold method.. Don't use the blender at the stage. I used a silicon spatula ensuring the incorporated air doesnt escape
  • Pre heat microwave at 180C for 10 min.  Grease the tin - transfer the mixture to the tin and bake for 30-35 min (mine was done in 25 min)
  • Cool the cake for atleast an hour or two before you proceed to the next step.

Butter Cream Icing
  • Mix together the ingredients for the icing and blend until a creamy paste
  • The temperature was too hot causing the butter to melt and become all goey.. I was keeping the icing in and out of the fridge to maintain the consistency.
Now the final Picture.. 








No doubt, it tasted super yummy.. It was a visual treat.. Didnt want to cut the cake - but nevertheless, total yummitos!!

Confession: Adding mangoes was due to sheer laziness of icing the whole cake, lol... 

Next post, Chocolate Almond Muffin, Alas final pics only :(

Cheers,
Amrin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words can Inspire, Words can Destroy... Choose yours wisely!!!